I’m ridiculously pleased and flattered to be nominated for a Liebster Award by friend-of-I-don’t-know-how-many-years Rich Meyrick, author of the Jaspa’s Journey books, who writes a fascinating, beautifully illustrated (with his own photographs) blog about his extraordinary travels at https://jaspasjourney.wordpress.com/.
The Liebster is presented to bloggers by their peers, who in turn nominate their own favourite bloggers for it. Here’s how it goes:
- You post the Award on your site.
- You link it back to the person who nominated you.
- You answer the seven questions posted by the person who nominated you.
- You nominate other deserving blogs.
- You post seven questions for the blogs you nominate.
So, first, here are my answers to Rich’s questions:
1. What made you decide to write a blog in the first place?
Simple: I was researching publishers, looking for a home for a novel I was working on, and twice came across the statement – If you don’t have a blog, don’t bother to submit.
2. Of all the blogs you’ve posted, which is your own personal favourite?
That’d be a children’s picture book short story I wrote years ago called Mr. Fitch (April 24th 2014), because I love the story, and am frustrated at my failure to have it published, after coming very close, and was happy to take the opportunity of sharing it with the two or three people who read this blog.
3. What is the absolute #1, must do item on your Bucket List?
Return to White Head Island, which is my absolute #1 must do item every time I leave it.
4. If you were exiled from your home country, where would you live, and why?
I’m already in a kind of voluntary exile – from England, where I lived until I moved to Newfoundland in my twenties. If I was exiled from Canada, I’d ask to be sent to somewhere like the Orkney or Faroe Islands.
5. Hot or Cold? Do you prefer the baking heat of summer or the chill days of winter?
Winter. Absolutely. Unequivocally. (I say that even after the long, hard winter of last year.)
6. Not including family or friends, who would be your ideal travelling companion, and why?
It’d have to be one of the dogs that has graced my life (read about them in The Last Dog, January 10, 2014), Maxim, or Roger, or Jesse. I wouldn’t trust anyone else – bar family members – to understand what I wanted, or didn’t want, from a travelling companion.
7. Character or Clutter? When photographing landscapes, places, etc., do you like to have people in your pictures, or do you feel they detract from the subject in question?
As a general rule – definitely no people. If somehow they sneak into the picture, I usually photoshop ’em out.
And my Liebster nominees are:
For whom my questions are:
- Who do you want to read your blog? (In other words, describe your ideal reader.)
- Why do you write a blog?
- Do you focus your blog on one particular topic, or leave it open for whatever grabs your fancy when you write it?
- What is one of your favourite books – and (in one sentence) why?
- What is one of your favourite movies – and (in one sentence) why?
- What piece of music (any genre – song, symphony, aria, quartet …) evokes most memories for you – and (if it’s not too personal) why?
- What is your favourite line from a book or poem?